how to clean a hot water urn (Tips & Tricks)
Don’t let a dirty hot water urn ruin your next event. Follow our simple guide to learn how to clean a hot water urn and ensure it’s in top condition for your next gathering.
With just a few easy steps, you can remove buildup and prevent foul odors. Start enjoying fresh-tasting hot water today by taking action and cleaning your urn.
If you own a hot water urn, you know how important it is to keep it clean.
Not only can a dirty urn lead to off-flavours in your hot water, but it can also be a breeding ground for bacteria and other harmful microorganisms.
In this article, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to clean a hot water urn properly.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your urn remains in good working condition and produces safe, clean a hot water urn for your use.
Gather the necessary supplies:
Before you begin cleaning your hot water urn, you’ll need to gather some supplies. Here’s what you’ll need:
- White vinegar
- Soft-bristled brush
- Clean, lint-free cloth
- Rubber gloves
Empty the urn and remove any remaining water:
The first step in cleaning your hot water urn is to empty it completely and remove any remaining water or debris.
This is important to ensure that the cleaning solution can penetrate all parts of the urn and remove any buildup that may be present.
Clean the inside of the urn:
- Once the urn is empty, you’ll want to clean the inside.
- To do this, you’ll need to fill the urn with a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water.
- Turn on the urn and let the solution come to a boil. Once it has boiled, turn off the urn and let it cool for about 20 minutes.
- Then, use a soft-bristled brush to scrub the inside of the urn, paying particular attention to any areas where buildup may be present.
- Rinse the urn thoroughly with clean water, making sure to remove any traces of the cleaning solution.
Clean the outside of the urn:
- Next, you’ll want to clean the outside of the urn. To do this, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe down the exterior with a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water.
- Pay particular attention to any areas where fingerprints or other marks may be present.
- If necessary, you can also use a gentle polish to bring the exterior of the urn back to a shine.
Reassemble the urn and test it:
- Once you’ve finished cleaning your hot water urn, it’s time to reassemble it and test it.
- Make sure that all parts are properly reassembled and that the urn is securely in place.
- Then, fill the urn with clean water and turn it on to make sure that it is functioning properly.
Tips for maintaining a clean hot water urn:
- To keep your hot water urn clean and in good working order, follow these tips:
- Clean your urn regularly. Depending on how often you use it, you may want to clean your urn every 3-6 months.
- Descale your urn. If you live in an area with hard water, you may need to descale your urn more frequently.
- To do this, use a commercial descaling solution or a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water.
- Store your urn properly.
- When not in use, make sure to store your urn in a dry, cool place. This will help prevent the growth of bacteria and other harmful microorganisms.
Cleaning a hot water urn is an important part of maintaining its functionality and ensuring that it produces clean, safe hot water for your use.
By following the steps outlined in this article, you can keep your urn in good working order and avoid any potential health hazards associated with a dirty urn.
Remember to clean a hot water urn regularly and to descale it as needed, and always store it properly when not in use.
With these simple tips, you can enjoy clean, safe hot water from your urn for years to come.
How often should I clean a hot water urn?
It is recommended to clean your hot water urn every 3-6 months, depending on how frequently you use it. If you notice any buildup or off-flavours in your hot water, you may need to clean it more frequently.
Can I use bleach to clean a hot water urn?
No, bleach should not be used to clean a hot water urn as it can be harmful if ingested. Instead, use a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water to clean the urn.
Can I put my hot water urn in the dishwasher?
It is not recommended to put a hot water urn in the dishwasher as the high temperatures and harsh detergents can damage the urn. Instead, follow the cleaning instructions outlined in this article to properly clean your urn.
Why is it important to descale my hot water urn?
Descaling your hot water urn is important if you live in an area with hard water. Over time, minerals in hard water can build up in the urn and reduce its efficiency or even cause it to malfunction. Descaling the urn using a commercial descaling solution or a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water can help remove these mineral deposits and keep your urn functioning properly.